As you know our house is on the market and truth be told I’m struggling terribly with seller’s remorse. It all looks so beautiful and immaculate and like my dream home, I keep pinching myself thinking what the **** are we doing? Have you ever had that problem? I have sold many homes but this is the first time I have regretted it from the moment it went on the market. Bit of a dilemma. Anyway, there have been a few of you who have come through for a look and I don’t mind at all, so feel free to come for a peak if you’re interested. The agents are expecting it!

Now as the house is looking as good as it’s going to get for the most part, I thought I would take some photos to show how it looks for the inspections, a sort of virtual tour. This is to show more of the layout and floor plan, as I have never really taken many shots showing how all the rooms relate and giving you an idea of the flow of the house. But now that it is all gussied up for the inspections I can take sweeping shots and not worry about the mess that’s usually lurking in every room.

IMG_4366

IMG_4367

IMG_4371

It’s not the most beautiful architecturally designed home to be honest, but I think we have maximised its appeal and created a nice family home, without spending a lot of money changing the facade or external structure. I still think black shutters on the front windows would be a nice addition.

IMG_4364

The footprint of the house hasn’t changed from the time we bought to the finished renovation. We added the front and rear decks but the two storeys, roof line, dormers and size of house haven’t changed. It was built in the 60s by Cape Cod Australia, and there are many houses of this style and era on the northern beaches.

IMG_4372

We repainted the roof tiles which made a big difference and painted the gutters and windows. The house was re-clad and painted. You can see the original house and progress in all my Our House Project posts. All the specs and paint colours etc are detailed in the About/FAQ section on the website here.

IMG_4363

IMG_4354

So when you walk up the front stairs into the house, this is what you see.

IMG_4352

IMG_4356

And this is the reverse view. The front door is painted aqua on the outside and black on the inside.

IMG_4349
IMG_4350

I feel like this space is still a bit of a work in progress, and I am yet to get the right artwork to go above the Chippendale chairs. When you walk into the open plan living area this is what you see. The dining room on the right which opens onto the deck and the living room on the left.

IMG_4410

IMG_4383

IMG_4394

IMG_4395

IMG_4405

IMG_4407

IMG_4414

IMG_4398

One room I haven’t shown before is the playroom, mainly because it’s always in a complete state of turmoil. But it can’t ever get much tidier than this, so here it is. The room is located off the living room near the kitchen which is a great location and it’s such a God send having this space nearby for the kids.

And just up the hall from the playroom is the library. This room is also still a work in progress, as I’m yet to get an armchair reupholstered, find some artwork for the walls and have curtains made. Oh well….

IMG_4402

The dining room leads to the kitchen and more of the deck. We have two sets of folding doors which open up and make the space twice as big. It’s wonderful when there are lots of people and the whole area just seems to double in size.

IMG_4391

The kitchen you’ve seen lots, but here are some photos to show how it relates to the rest of the house including the deck and the dining room.

IMG_4418

IMG_4433

IMG_4434

IMG_4439

IMG_4442

IMG_4441

IMG_4443

For the next instalment of the house tour I’ll take you out the back to the pool and cabana and upstairs! Stay tuned.

All images by Melinda Hartwright.

17 Responses to Our Open House Virtual Tour

1. Faux Fuchsia says:

well I think it looks ABSOLUTELY stunning and I can see why you are sad to sell.

It is divine.

Luff everything.

x

2. Lynne Grierson says:

Just such a lovely house. I have really enjoyed getting to see even more of it!

3. Nola says:

Your house is soo amazing-I remember when I first found your blog and have loved it all ever since. I can see how it would be sad to sell!,

4. Monica says:

what I would do to live somewhere where you could open whole rooms to the outdoors. I love this concept and it gives so much more to a home. Your home is stunning and I know your next home will be just as beautiful.

5. Ani says:

Thank you for sharing these photos. So inspiring! I agree with Monica above…..oh to live where you can have rooms that open to the beautiful outdoors! Too many bugs (and snow) in Chicago. Good luck with the sale. Can’t wait to see what you’ll do with the next house!!!

6. Gail Storti says:

WOW…..your home is sheer “Perfection”! Every inch is gorgeous and thank you so much for sharing ALL of it with us blog followers! It definitely needs to be featured in the top design magazines, however, this was better because we got to see everything, not just a few rooms. I could move right into your house and not have to change one single thing! It is amazing!!

• Gail Storti says:

Oh…and by the way….I’d buy your house in a heartbeat as long as it came with everything in it! HOW on earth can you think about moving….I could never leave such a gorgeous home!

7. Susan says:

What a gorgeous home! The layout is wonderful. I can understand how hard it would be to leave it.

8. Jenny says:

Just beautiful Melinda. Well done on the entire interior and exterior. 🙂

9. Kirsten says:

Thanks for sharing all these beautiful images of your home Mel – I have “pinned” nearly every one of them! I totally understand your seller’s remorse – I’d be feeling that too – you’d have to drag me kicking and screaming from that house! kx

10. Rebecca says:

No words……..well maybe just one, stunning!

11. She is looking absolutely stunning Mel.
    Carolyn

12. Anastasia says:

It all looks so gorgie!!!!!!!! Think of it like this…….you can make any place look like that and you get to try new things at the same time so there is a new adventure waiting for you to grab hold of and enjoy …….. Fab job honey!!! x

13. Sheryl says:

Love every inch of this house, beautifully done! I am in love with the paint color that you chose for the kitchen & dinning room. Would you please tell me what color that is?!

14. She looks Stunning hun – how oh how can you leave her???? xx

15. A little late stopping by ~ it’s been a little crazy in my neck of the woods. I’m sure it will sell quickly Mel. Gorgeous home and the floor plan is very nice. I love the way the kitchen opens up to the outdoors. I didn’t catch the reason for the move .. hope everything is okay. xxL

16. Edward Lamb says:

The House Song

This house goes on sale ev’ry Wednesday morning
    And taken off the market in the afternoon.
    You can buy a piece of it if you want to
    It’s been good to me if it’s been good for you.

Take the grand look now the fire is burning
    Is that your reflection on the wall?
    I can show you this room and some others
    If you came to see the house at all.

Careful up the stairs, a few are missing
    I haven’t had the time to make repairs
    First step is the hardest one to master
    Last one I’m not really sure is there.

This room here once had childish laughter
    And I come back to hear it now and again
    I can’t say that I’m certain what you’re after
    But in this room, a part of you will remain.

Second floor, the lady sleeps in waiting
    Past the lantern, tiptoe in its glance
    In the room the soft brown arms of shadow
    This room the hardest one to pass.

How much will you pay to live in the attic?
    The shavings off your mind are the only rent
    I left some would there if you thought you couldn’t
    Or if the shouldn’t that you’ve bought has been spent.

This house goes on sale ev’ry Wednesday morning
    And taken off the market in the afternoon.
    You can buy a piece of it if you want to
    It’s been good for me if it’s been good for you