Where do I begin…..

Family photo 25

Jessica Ross Photography

Who knew it would be such a long time between drinks (posts), or that it would take over 18 months to get the internet connected at our new house (it’s still snail slow) or that I would enjoy living in the Southern Highlands quite so much. But it has, it did and I do. So after a much longer break from blogging than I anticipated, but thoroughly enjoyed, and after finishing our big renovation/decorating project and immersing myself in this wonderful Highlands life, while working on client projects in Sydney, I am back to share it all with you.

Welcome back to the blog. I’m so glad you’re still here!

Firstly, you should note that the blog is no longer called Georgica Pond, nor is it Georgica Pond Interiors or Georgica Pond anything. Those of you who have followed me from the start, will know the trails and tribulations I have gone through with the name and resulting confusion and frustration. But once my design business got into full swing and I began dealing with suppliers and a plethora of business people by email and phone, I can’t tell you how many times I was called Georgica, Georgia, Georgie, Georgeeca etc etc. I mean like hundreds of times. It was doing my head in and I realised that it probably wasn’t such a stupid mistake if I was honest with myself, after all nobody here has heard of that particular tiny village in the Hamptons, so it probably wasn’t altogether daft to assume it was my name. But what really annoyed me was when people who had called me Melinda for ages, suddenly starting calling me Georgica. I mean, what the? I couldn’t stand it anymore. So it turned out my husband was right, it was a silly choice and I have now reclaimed my business, renamed and rebranded to Melinda Hartwright Interiors. Simple. No more confusion, just me, my name, my brand.

IMG_0098

Everything from Pinterest, to Facebook, Instgram, Twitter and beyond is now under my new name, so be sure to update your social media followings. Can I also suggest that you resubscribe to the blog (enter your email address on the right) as I don’t have a lot of faith in Feedburner converting the subscriber list to the new website name and feed.

Pinterest – melhartwright

Facebook – Melinda Hartwright Interiors

Twitter – melhartwright

Instagram – Melinda Hartwright Interiors

Website – www.melindahartwright.com

Family photo 5

Jessica Ross Photography

Life in the Highlands is fabulous. We have wonderful friends, terrific schools, a great community and are enjoying every aspect of life here. The family are all well, children growing like weeds, loving their new schools and thriving in this country life. Charlie is soon turning 9, Poppy about to be 6 and Amelia (she calls herself Mimi) turned 3 recently. The kids have grown a lot as you can see, and although they missed the blue house for a long time when we first moved here, now that the renovation is complete and it looks similar to the old house, they are settled and happy.

IMG_5277

Tom is as happy as the proverbial pottering around his 5 acres of garden on the weekends, working tirelessly on creating a beautiful garden. He loves it.

IMG_7454

We have had some wonderful holidays over the past 18 months, including a recent trip to the UK and Spain for family reunions of mine and Tom’s family. A highlight was staying at the amazing Babington House in Somerset, which I posted about a few years back. Such an amazing experience which I will share.

IMG_8974

IMG_9491

Tom and I will be celebrating our tenth wedding anniversary in November. We make a great team. We are excited to be going to stay at the new stunning Halcyon House at Cabarita Beach, designed by Anna Spiro. I’ll be sure to report back on every gorgeous detail.

Tom and Mel photo 3

Jessica Ross Photography

I have been working hard on a few projects in Sydney, and still doing lots of mini consultations. I’ll post photos as they are completed. It has been a bit of a juggle keeping up with projects and staying on top of things, while being a mum of three kids and fully involved in everything that’s going on down here, so I am now trying to focus work in the local area. So if you live in the Highlands and would like my help, I’d love to hear from you.
IMG_7095
IMG_7533

IMG_7786

The renovation of this house was quite a major project and to make it even more challenging we decided (actually Tom decided!), that we should live in the house during the work, to be around to supervise and to save money on rent we would have paid. Seemed like a good idea at the time, and by the end of the it we were all wishing we hadn’t, including our builder who was very long suffering but said he would have paid the rent to have us out of his hair! But I do think it had its benefits and being around daily to keep an eye one everything, give instructions, make decisions, check on work and keep everything moving made a big difference. Our builder was brilliant and it’s the first time I have enjoyed the experience as well as the outcome. There will be lots of posts to come about every room and transformation but here’s a quick reminder.

BEFORE

IMG_1551

AFTER

IMG_5918

BEFORE

IMG_1653

AFTER

IMG_7780_2

One of the wonderful things about living in the Highlands is that we definitely get four distinct seasons. And as the gardens are predominantly designed and planted with European trees around here, you get a glorious show of colour and change of character with every season.

IMG_7554

IMG_7622

IMG_5893

IMG_7722
A few days after we got back from our trip to Europe where we had survived the heatwave and daily temperatures in Spain of over 38 deg, we woke up on a Friday morning to discover this had happened stealthily overnight. It was spectacular! The whole of Bowral was blanketed in snow, schools were shut, power gone, roads closed, the town brought to a standstill. So the kids made the most of the day building snowmen. Haven’t seen snow like this in the area for over ten years. It was magical.

IMG_9774

IMG_9777

IMG_9784

IMG_9788

IMG_9796

IMG_9800

IMG_5980
IMG_5991

We have named our house “Bathampton”, which is a named Tom chose because he loves the town Bathampton in England, near where his family lives in Bath. And it seemed like a good fit.
IMG_5958

Here’s a little sneak peak of what’s in store when I introduce you to the new and improved “Bathampton” over the coming months.

IMG_6004

IMG_6188

IMG_6138

IMG_6244

IMG_6623

Finally, I must say a huge thank you to everyone for your enduring and enthusiastic support of me, my work and the blog. Thanks for sticking around.

Family photo 48

Jessica Ross Photography

36 Responses to Welcome Home

1. Fiona Guglielmi says:

All looks very beautiful Mel, you are quite talented.

2. Michelle says:

So fabulous to see you back!! I adore your work.

3. ev33z says:

It all looks wonderful. You’ve all done a beautiful job!

4. So glad to see you back blogging and I can’t wait to see the house from all angles. You have a beautiful family.

5. Pauline Davey says:

So glad you’re back, have missed your blog. Excited to see the renovations.

6. jade says:

Mel, the house looks stunning, you are so very talented absolutely love seeing all your photos , we are also in the southern highlands and love it great for the kids, thanks for sharing x

7. Tracey Brancourt says:

Mel, Mel, Mel, I am so pleased to see you back blogging, you have been missed. I am excited to see all your before and afters. I can’t believe how your gorgeous children have grown!! Everything looks gorgeous, as per usual. So looking forward to reading your blog again. Welcome back!! Regards, Tracey.xx

8. Nola Gradby says:

Lovely post, so glad your back. Can’t wait to see more!

9. Vanessa says:

Stunning! Welcome back! I was following on Instagram and the last pic for some time was at Shutters in California and I must say I was a little worried. I’d hoped that nothing untoward had happened and am glad your lovely family is safe and flourishing! Absolutely love the photos of the seasons you are experiencing. Breathtaking! Look forward to following again Melinda.

10. Ann Anderson says:

Beautiful home and family…so glad you are back!

11. Fabulous to see you back Melina – your new house is just gorgeous!

12. Gabrielle says:

I am so looking forward to a regular blog. Thankyou for coming back

13. Gorgeous Mel. Can’t wait to hear more. I wouldn’t miss it for the world.
    Carolyn xx

14. Claudia says:

Hi, I loved you’re old house and it served as great inspiration in my own decor. I have anticipated seeing the new house decor for some time now, so thank you for sharing. I’m looking forward to seeing the rest. I love the square white planters by the main front door. Could I ask where you got those from?

15. Emma says:

The house is stunning Mel! What an amazing job you have done. I am really looking forward to seeing it all in more detail. The kids are all looking gorgeous and happy as well. Country life suits you all. Emma

16. Raewyn Livesey says:

Absolutely beautiful look forward to seeing more
    Rae

17. So happy to have you back! You, your family and new house all so beautiful, am looking forward to more!

18. Kathy Perdue says:

So happy to see you back and to hear how happy and well everything in your life is going along. Always fun to see what you are up too. I have a big move in front of me as well We are having a new home built in an over 55 active adult community. Our taste are so similar it will be fun to see what you have done in your home. I am putting together a lighting plan right now. So many to choose from, but only a few that I truly love. If you get a chance take a look at my last two post to see my choices.

19. Melinda! What a surprise to see a blog post in my inbox this morning! Welcome back:) Such a beautiful home you’ve created and I can relate to the LONG process as we’ve just completed a re-build (14 month project;). Looking forward to seeing more and I can’t believe how the kids have grown!

20. Elizabeth Dixon says:

Welcome back! Cannot wait to see all the gorgeous rooms in your new home, looks like you are doing an amazing job!

21. Georgi Dwyer says:

I’m overjoyed to find you again! I adore your blog, your impeccable style and your sense of humor. And may I just say that as a girl whose name is GEORGI, I feel your pain that you endured during your time operating as Georgica Pond. Sometimes rolling your eyeballs and ignoring people’s inability to get your name right is not enough. You did what you needed to do and I applaud you. I cannot wait to follow you in cyberspace once again. Welcome back!!

22. I missed your blog so much – it was always one of my favourites. So glad you are back and looking forward to many more posts! Cheers, Victoria

23. Jane says:

So glad you’re back and can’t wait to see more of your house, your work is so inspiring

Jane

24. Melissa says:

Welcome back. I have missed your lovely posts and often wondered how the new home was going. Looking forward to seeing your changes.

25. I’ve been wondering what happened to you…nice to see that your back!

26. Julie says:

So good to have your back Mel; I loved your old house and am really looking forward to seeing you reveal your new house. Your family photos are just gorgeous.

PS. Do I recall you saying to Tom that this house would only be redecorated and not renovated or did I just imagine that????

27. Jane says:

Welcome back Mel. Thank you for sharing your gorgeous photos. What a journey you have been on since packing up & moving to Bowral. Looking forward to your blogs. So pleased you are happy!

28. Karen says:

So glad your able to blog again Mel. I’m looking forward to your future posts.
    The family has grown and looking gorgeous.
    I can understand why you love living in the Southern Highlands we had a holiday in Kiama and spent time exploring the highlands Beautiful.
    The snippets of the house look gorgeous and an amazing transformation.

29. Monica says:

Good for you and family to take a break and Good for us that you are back!! I love your blue choices so fresh, modern and timeless all at the same time. Have a wonderful anniversary when your 10th rolls around. I look forward to seeing more of your stunning work. Big Fan from Texas.

30. Susan says:

So excited to see you back! Your family is beautiful and I can’t wait to see more of your gorgeous home!

31. Trish says:

So glad to have you back Mel, your home is looking just as beautiful as your Sydney house did. Love it!!!

32. Edwina Carter says:

Loved reading through this Mel – what a beautiful home you’ve created. Gorgeous little family! xx

33. Charry beck says:

Love your home,the blue and white is so pretty. I can’t wait to see more.

34. Mandy Gibson says:

May I please ask what colour you painted the exterior of your new home? It is beautiful.

35. Ann Moore says:

Hi Mel, I just found you again after 18 months and was delighted to see what you have been doing and how great the house is looking. Can I say the pictures took my breath away, I am trying to create a Hamptons inspired home here in Queensland. I feel for you regarding the parquet flooring. My parents had the same in their house in Surrey in the UK and I loved it. But I dont think I will choose it now after your experience. I do hope the floor will mellow for you to enjoy. Thank you for all the wonderful pictures. I will keep checking in for more great decorating ideas. Congratulations and thank you for the inspiration. keep up the wonderful work. Ann

36. Will says:

Hi, I’d love to know what subway tile you used in your “sneak peek” post above in the kitchen. Looks like teal hand made ceramic or hand blown glass. Exactly what I’m looking for. Great job, you’re very talented!

-Will