Earlier this year in autumn we had the crew from Home Beautiful come to the house to take photos for a feature which has recently hit stands. It is a wonderful spread, over 12 pages, with lots of gorgeous images of the house by photographer Chris Warnes and a great article written to accompany. It’s a lovely keepsake of how we have transformed this house.

Some of the interior colours in the printing haven’t come out very accurately and don’t show the house as it really is in person. In my experience as a former magazine stylist I found blues and greens often seemed challenging to reproduce accurately, particularly the subtle nuances of colour, tone and texture. It’s a good example of why we shouldn’t ever rely on magazines, brochures and printed pages to pick paint and fabric colours because they are often not the same.

I have take some photos of the spread for those of you who don’t live in here or haven’t seen it, am also including some images I took at home, and also showing another few rooms which weren’t included in the article.

IMG_7666 IMG_7667 IMG_7668 IMG_7669 IMG_7670 IMG_7671

IMG_6463

IMG_6466 IMG_4236

IMG_6458

IMG_6452IMG_6011IMG_6395

IMG_4460

IMG_4535
IMG_4861

IMG_4507IMG_7419IMG_7583IMG_5629IMG_7329IMG_4126

IMG_6243 IMG_4353 IMG_4357IMG_7391IMG_6559 IMG_6389 IMG_6393IMG_6484 IMG_6489IMG_7300IMG_7303IMG_4246 IMG_4254 IMG_4265

Have a wonderful weekend!

Tagged with →

28 Responses to Home Beautiful feature

1. Your home is beautiful Mel, congratulations on the HB feature. x

2. Lee says:

Hi Melissa,

I do buy this magazine off the supermarket shelves in NZ when I see something I am interested in, would love to get this copy, what issue is it please (as in month?).

Your house is gorgeous, I know what you mean about colours as when my house was featured on Houzz as an interview with me, the blues came out far more vibrant than they actually are.

Can’t wait to see the actual magazine, hope it is on the NZ shelves now 🙂

Lee

Hi Lee, it’s the September issue, out now in Australia. So not sure if you’ll be able to get it in NZ. Thanks for your lovely comments. Melx

• Lee says:

Thanks Melinda on my way to the shops shortly, we usually get the magazine same time as you, if it is not in it might be in a few weeks time. Your house is stunning, I love everything about your style, can’t wait …..on my way

3. Your home is so beautiful Melinda and I love the skylight in the dining zone plus all your other pendant lights. Love Love Love

Thanks Lynette, many of them came from the US including the one over the dining table. Can be hard to find fabulous affordable unique lighting here.

4. Tracey says:

Mel, you clever, clever girl. The house is stunning. I love everything, your talent knows no bounds. I only wish I had your talent. Enjoy you weekend. Tracey xx

5. Ann Moore says:

Stunning Melinda you most both be so proud. Take time to enjoy the fruits of your labours. Regards Ann.

6. Raewyn Livesey says:

Hello just saw your lovely home in the home beautiful mag and yes can see the difference in your colours
    You have done such a nice job in your home well done love it all

7. Melissa says:

Stunning. You have done a superb job with your new home. So warm, welcoming and practical.

8. June says:

Absolute. Perfection.

9. Sara says:

Mel, you are so creative and you can see how passionate you are. Every room blends in beautifully, I absolutely love your home congratulations and I will be buying the magazine today, I only wish I could see it in real life xx

10. Wendy Robinson says:

Well done Mel, your home is so deserving of being in “Home Beautiful”! Are you still taking appointments for new clients? Our house plans are finally in council and we are locals now. Would love some help with colour/tile/wallpaper etc selections!

11. Libby Lazzo says:

Your style is so gorgeous! I love your use of wallpaper too! Congratulations on the spread showcasing your stunning home x

12. Irene says:

Stunning Mel and in record time too ! Can I ask you the name if the fabric the headboard is in your main bedroom…. Thanks
    Irene
    Brighton SA

13. Sara says:

As I have said over and over again how I love your home, I would really love to know where is your TV? Is your family room set out to watch TV, in my house it is hard to set out a beautiful family room like yours as my family love to lounge around and my adult kids have friends over all the time and we love entertaining in that room aswell.

14. Annie Davies says:

Congratulations Melinda, you’ve done it again. I’m rushing out to buy the magazine, I can’t wait to see what you do next. You inspire me! thank you

15. Rebecca Dewberry says:

Stunning and inspiring as always. Congratulations Melinda!

16. Rebecca says:

Absolutely magnificent! Just went to another supermarket to get a copy, you have done a beautiful job. (I must say I think you do a better job of photographing it, your colours are much truer to what I imagine to be real life, I see what you mean about the blues, especially in the master bedroom valance) I so wish they had included the bathrooms, they are magical! Lighting is such a special gift you have in importing the right fixture or sconce and pairing just the right fabric to bring the room together. Congratulations ~ Rebecca

17. Felicity says:

Just beautiful – it must be wonderful to wake up every morning in your amazing home. Thanks for sharing it with us!

18. Lucy A @northrock_vineyard says:

Hello Mel… It’s Lucy @Northrock_vineyard
    Thank you for the email regarding the hydrangea fabric
    I have to tell you this story … I am so daft these days …
    I was leisurely looking through HB that I had sneakily ‘borrowed ‘from my daughter and was loving the article but not putting two and two together for quite sometime !… And thinking to myself that it reminded me of … I couldn’t quite remember … Then upon reading further than the little photo descriptions I started to think … Hmm sounds like the Melinda Hartwright designer from Instagram …. Hmmm… (Still no clicking but a little drooling) until halfway down the article !!!!… I saw your name …
    I feel like I owe you an apology !… It’s a lovely spread and you must be very proud and … yes !… Some of the colors weren’t true and I can see it especially in the lounge pics that you have put up here … I absolutely adore your style and aspire to your talents and you have inspired me to stick with my original love for blue and white that has been ingrained in my soul after pouring myself for years into American magazine subscriptions
    Lucy Ananiadis

19. Ann Moore says:

Hi Melinda,

Can you tell me what paint colour and brand did you use for your kitchen/dining room plus living/family room?. Plus bathroom. Many thanks Ann.

20. Jo says:

Green with envy here! Absolutely love your work. An exterior question if I can…..What colour is your house painted please? We are currently agonising over colours, far too many shades of white to choose from. We too have a brick feature chimney running through both levels of the house and white trimmed windows. Thanks Melinda.